Dr. Shanmugam recommends our patients get the COVID-19 booster vaccine. We are currently following the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) and the ACR (American college of Rheumatology) guidelines. They are as follows.
● It is recommended that you receive the same manufacturer booster as the previous COVID-19 vaccine you received.
● The additional vaccine should be administered at least 28 days after completion of the primary vaccine series.
● If you are taking any Rheumatology medication other than Plaquenil or Sulfasalazine it is recommended to hold your medication for 1 week AFTER the booster vaccine. You do not need to hold it prior to the vaccine.
● If you are on Rituximab or Orencia please contact the office to discuss the timing of your booster vaccine.
All patients on immunosuppressive medications should continue to follow prevention measures, including:
· Wearing a mask
· Staying 6 feet apart from those they don’t live with
· Avoiding crowds and poorly ventilated indoor spaces until advised otherwise by their healthcare provider
· Close contacts of immunocompromised people should be strongly encouraged to be vaccinated against COVID-19
We will continue to follow the CDC and ACR guidelines and will update patients accordingly.
Sucharitha Shanmugam MD